THE TOMB OF ST. FRANCIS XAVIER
buy protonix otc In Bom Jesus Basilica Old Goa, the body was kept on the third floor of the residential wing of Bom Jesus Church,Old Goa called Casa Professa de Bom Jesus.
In 1622, the Catholic Church canonised Francis but the news reached Goa in 1623 and the occasion was solemnized in 1624. At that time the body of St. Francis was taken to the Chapel of St. Francis of Borgia in the Bom Jesus Church and the coffin was in a silver casket. By 1637 the body of the Saint had been placed in a new silver casket. This casket was made by Goan silversmiths between 1636-37. There are 32 silver plates on all four sides of the casket depicting different episodes from the life of the Saint. In 1659 the silver casket was taken to the chapel opposite to the chapel of St. Francis of Borgia.
In 1698 a magnificent Florentine Mausoleum was erected in Old Goa and the silver casket containing the coffin was placed on top of it. The tomb of St. Francis Xavier has three parts, namely, the altar, the Florentine mausoleum and the silver casket.